Monday 16 April 2012

Africa Time; Time is different here…..apparently.

Okay. Africa Time. It’s a foreign concept that often leaves me baffled, even after being here for 8 months. Mainly because they have several versions of “now” in this country; “Now now”, “just now”, “now”, and “I’ll be there now”. Obviously….?
This made our first few weeks a living nightmare, turning up early, late and everything in between!  We eventually went to seek some true South African help on this pressing issue. So…
Now now à is roughly in the next 5 mins, generally means you are literally on your way.
Just now à well, this is tricky, supposedly it can mean anything from 5 mins to over half an hour. I guess in UK we’d say “soon” or “in a while.” This caught Cara and I out big time on our first day!
Now à is generally in between “now now” and “just now”
I’ll be there now à …..we still don’t know….or maybe it’s just South African time keeping on that one ;)
African Time; “now’s” aside as, to be honest, it really doesn’t even look like a real word any more… is generally of a very slow pace, even just walking we’ve found we have stopped storming ahead pace wise and have slotted nicely into the local’s slow meander, so apologies in advance if this annoys you when I’m home, I’ve also started picking up on the “now’s” so it may also be best to ask me for specific times for at least a few months. The excuse if anyone is late, although, if you’re within an hour of the specified start time you’re kind of okay, is “TIA”…or This Is Africa.
There we go, it is officially NOT my fault if I am still running on Africa Time for my first few months back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment